Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Moving Pictures : The Ghosts, A Teenage Fever Dream.


I received an email from Eddie O'Keefe some weeks ago and somehow, it slipped through the cracks. By now you've maybe seen his short, 'The Ghosts' elsewhere(click the link to watch larger). And that's a good thing. 'Cause it's good. A touch rough and unpolished. Nostalgic and wry. It's a love letter to teenage rebellion. In Eric's words, "I shot this film last July back home in the suburbs of Chicago. Its cast and crew are mostly people I grew up with and went to high school with. It was shot over the course of three and a half weeks. The music was provided by some of my friends as well. The theme that plays at the beginning and the end was written by my girlfriend Greta who plays in the band Gold Motel. Going to film school as an undergraduate I saw a lot of really slick looking, professional student films that were shot immaculately and had perfect sound and yet were totally soulless. The lighting was great but they had zero life and energy. With The Ghosts I kind of set out to create a movie that would be the antithesis of those kind of films. I wanted to make a movie with a garage rock sensibility that embraced amateurism and had attitude and verve and could be loud. I wanted it to feel like a rock n roll song." I'd say mission accomplished Eric.

1 comment:

Ryan Callis said...

That was great. Thanks for the post.