Friday, June 25, 2010

Into Right Now: Mark McNairy New Amsterdam, SS11.

Woolrich's man on deck, Mark McNairy continues to turn the classics out on their ear. Shown at Capsule in Paris is his New Amsterdam collection for Spring '11. And as if he hadn't mastered the red brick sole mash up game already, he's now introducing some bold color into the fold, both soles and uppers. Let's hope that once he takes the reins over at Woolrich, he continues this ever evolving experimentation. It's easy to perhaps make the connection why he was an stand out for his upcoming gig. His strong suit has always been a smart and sly reinterpretation of the classics. I, along with just about everyone else out there, am looking very much forward to seeing what he makes of his tenure at WWM. Bonne chance, Mark.
(images via HYPEBEAST)

7 comments:

Beth said...

Fun shoes! I think I like the red ones best.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be negative, but those are really the dumbest shoes I have ever seen. Why would I want bright green saddles? Bucks are unusual enough these days without a day glow sole. I do not understand.

james said...

there's a certain level of whimsy at play here I believe. McNairy has always been fairly masterful at taking the staid elements of perhaps what may be considered "stuffy" classic footwear and reassembling them with wit and humor. Color and, dare I say, some attitude. For me, it's not even about the crazy color going on here, as I might be a bit hesitant to wear some of these, but rather the spirit behind them. They're not for everyone. I hear what you're sayin' and I'm sure you're not alone but McNairy is one of those guys out there who constantly goes just a little further each time yet retains a very true signature on it all. Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

These shoes are FANTASTIC, BUT I can't find a 13 in his shoes anywhere. HELP!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, VERY Rachel Comey-ish. UO and now these. Has MM jumped the shark? Some may say so...

TeesonNYC said...

Love the classic white bucks with the bright soles. A simple but effective way to update a classic. I want the one with the electric blue soles now!

Mitch Frank said...

I don't disagree that the colored soles are similar to Rachel Comey. But if they were next to each other in a shop I'd probably choose these. Comey shoes are so long and low and narrow. I think that's part of how McNairy moderates his 'risk taking,' the same way Coco Chanel said 'before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.' Before McNairy goes to production he looks at his design and dials something back.