Thursday, March 4, 2010

L'iconique: The Quiet Charm of Jacques Tati.




Late one night years ago, on a trip to France for a friend's wedding, in bed with my now wife, while she slept, the television was on and it's there that I found myself watching Jacques Tati's brilliant "Jour de Fete".

Tati, born 1907, after a stint as a professional rugby player and success as a mime, would move into film, starring in all but his last film, and for the better part of his career, as Monsieur Hulot, the bumbling outsider to the rapidly advancing post-war cultural march toward modernity.



"Jour de Fete" however, the most singularly rural of his chosen settings, came two years following his first film, "L'École des Facteurs", a short from 1947 in which Tati first debuted his easily distracted postman in training.


There's much to like about the man and his films. Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already, and acquaint yourself with Tati's films.


Below, "Trafic", 1971. His final M. Hulot film.



7 comments:

Rogerandco.com said...

Mon Oncle is one of my all-time faves. site gags for miles!

Self Edge said...

Playtime is one of my top ten favorite films of all time, great post!

Unknown said...

i have been a fan before there was TV

Anonymous said...

Had the opportunity to see 35mm print of Playtime, so fantastic!

Patrick Segui RIVETED said...

i can totally remember being in the theater with my dad as a kid watching "mon oncle"and amazing homage to the slapstick comedy from an amazing french man and oscar winning movie indeed .
http://segui-riveted.blogspot.com

English said...

Mon oncle - One of my favorite films and favorite movie posters

DENIMANIAC said...

Playtime is one of my favorites as well! I'm with Self Edge... great post James!!