Friday, February 5, 2010

R.I.P.: Brooklyn Banks.

Without a doubt, as iconic of a spot as any. I first visited the banks in '91, while in NY to visit some schools.
I remember being just totally overwhelmed by the entire experience. Washington Square, getting 40's from any corner bodega, being wild in the streets. But more so, to skate such a spot and with total rippers, and not be in Cali. Being there felt like a rite of passage.
Back then, felt like there was such a focus on the west coast, EMB being this Mecca(a pilgrimage I would make a few years later myself) for skateboarders and ground zero for what skating was moving towards.
But there have always been such rippers on this side of the country, having to make due and compete with the shitty streets, the weather, cabbies, over-zealous security guards, etc. SHUT, ZOO YORK, SUPREME...born from these streets. And too many skaters to name.
Brooklyn Banks will be under construction until 2014. Whether they will be skateable once construction ends remains to be seen. Among the clips below, Edison, New Jersey native Mike Vallely makes a last trip back to his old haunt and tells it like he remembers.











10 comments:

Halo Effect said...

Spoke to Quim yesterday. He killed in the intro to 411, switch nollie hard flip over the ledge...Nice posting to a classic, classic OG spot.

Percy Chatsworth said...

NOOOOOOO!

It is such a beautiful area. It was made for skating.

Percy Chatsworth said...

Unintentionally.

James said...

Thanks for this. You seriously have the best blog out there.

Tuco said...

End of an era. I spent most my childhood there.

Unknown said...

Such a bummer.
I have some more great banks photos here.
http://www.dqmnewyork.com/news/entry/no_more_banks/

cleaman said...

all us east coasters have died a little this day.

Teppei said...

That picture of the bricks all tore up like that bums me the crap out. I doubt they'll put it back together the way it was. Another skateboarding landmark put to rest. Nice tribute though.

preston said...

hey I remember seeing a picture of a guy doing a rock fakie on top of one of the pillars i wish i could see the video of that

Tina said...

Where do all the people go now???
I was planning a photo documentary about Skateboarding in NY in September... arghhh... Somebody help me???
Thanks!