Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On the Subject of: Seasonality, Process, Authenticity, etc.

This time of year, more than any other, I get into cooking. Perhaps because there's so much time spent indoors, the hibernation that occurs, winter vegetables and seasonal dishes, the Holiday meals, whatever it may be...I recently ran across these videos. I am hibernating with fry pan and Santoku in hand.

"I honestly believe that people of my generation despise authenticity, mostly because they're all so envious of it."
-Chuck Klosterman

4 comments:

Jared said...

Wonderful stuff. I've definitely been making more frequent hauls to the food co-op in these cold months.

On the subject of Dan Barber, this video is worth the 20-minute time investment. He glows about a Spanish farmer who's invented a brand new and ethical way of producing foie gras.

Now You Know said...

have you guys ever been to st. john? one of the most disappointing meals in my life. expectations were high and they were thoroughly destroyed with mediocre food. i appreciate the concept but fergus is not a good chef.

try anchor and hope next time yr in london-town...that place rules.

Jared said...

By the way, here is the Dan Barber video I was referencing above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvrgD0mAFoU

Jpoogle, I didn't go to St. John during my time in London, though I do have his book, "The Whole Beast."

For what it's worth, I think the way he's popularized nose-to-tail dining is probably more important than the food that comes out of his restaurant's kitchen.

I'll make a note to try Anchor & Hope the next time I'm around that way though.

james said...

@Jpoogle. I've heard that elsewhere about st. John. What was it in particular that put you off. I dare say calling Fergus out as being a bad chef flies in the face of popular belief. Expand on it if you will.
thanks.